Canada PR Visa

Getting Married While Your Application is in the Express Entry Pool

Marriage is unquestionably one of your life’s most beautiful and joyous moments. While marriage brings a lot of excitement, it may also leave you with doubts and questions regarding Canada immigration. Many people think, what if they should inform the IRCC if marriage happens while lodging an Express Entry application? Please note that it is critical to keep the officials at IRCC updated on any changes in your life. Failing to do so may result in dire consequences.

What is an express entry system?

Express Entry is one of the most popular pathways to permanent residence for immigrants planning to start a new life in Canada. The country invites hundreds and thousands of skilled applicants through the Express Entry system yearly.

Express Entry is an online system used by the government of Canada to process PR visa applications for skilled workers who want to settle in Canada with their families permanently.

The system accepts applications under the three economic categories:

  • Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)
  • Federal Skilled Trades (FST)
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

What is an Invitation to Apply?

An invitation to apply is an online invitation sent by the government of Canada as the final step to applying for the Canada PR visa. The ITA process includes supporting documents related to the details you have mentioned in your Express Entry profile.

Upon receiving an ITA, you have 60 calendar days to gather your documents and submit an official application for Canadian permanent residence.

What happens if I get married after applying?

In that case, the IRCC requires an applicant to disclose any changes in their social status, such as marriage/divorce/dependent children. You must add them as dependents in your application with additional paperwork and documents.

Your admissibility to Canada depends on your spouse’s admissibility as well. It’s a step you must oblige with regardless of whether they accompany you to Canada or not.

Getting married after getting ITA but before submitting the PR Application

If you get married after securing an ITA, but before applying for the PR visa, you will still need to inform the IRCC about your relationship status. The changes in your family composition have an impact on your application. Your CRS scores may change if your spouse intends to immigrate to Canada with you. Check the cut-off scores for the draw in which you got the ITA.

Including spouse to your PR application after ITA and PR visa submission

Yes, you can still add your new spouse to your application even after submitting the PR application. It would help if you apprised the IRCC about the change in your marital status. IRCC will send you a document checklist you need to add your spouse to your application.

My spouse will accompanying me to Canada. Do I still need to update IRCC after receiving my COPR?

Irrespective of your spouse wants to accompany you to Canada or not, you must inform the IRCC about your marriage. The IRCC needs to aware of the changes in your relationship status. Failing to do so may jeopardize your visa, resulting in rejection or ban in some cases (for up to five years).

Wondering whether your spouse qualifies for the visa or not? Come to us to get answers of your questions.

Find out if you are eligible for express entry. Contact our migration agents today to schedule your free counseling. To know more call us on 85 95 33 85 95 or drop a mail at [email protected]






About the Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *