CELPIP Language VS IELTS for Canada Immigration Test
The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC): The concerned visa and immigration regulating organization–recognizes two English language proficiency tests, for fulfilling the English language condition for a Canada PR Visa, namely, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Programme (CELPIP).
While most visa aspirants know about the former, i.e., the IELTS, not many know about the latter, the CELPIP; and since the IELTS tests are comparatively more difficult and complex to face, they often get discouraged and many of them end up losing the ticket to Canada on this parameter, language skill proficiency.
If you are one such aspirant, here’s positive news for you!
The CELPIP test is an excellent alternative to IELTS for meeting the required express entry pool CLB levels to make the cut on the language front. CLB stands for Canadian Language Benchmarks; it is the Canadian national system of reviewing English as a Second Language (ESL) proficiency levels for your language test results, on the basis of the four key language skill components reading, writing, speaking and listening. Some of the candidates may find CELPIP comparatively easier. Even the test expenses are lesser, in relation to the IELTS tests.
How and why of CELPIP versus IELTS
Now let’s figure how and why some amongst you may prefer CELPIP in place of the IELTS, to show your language skills, and get the required CLB levels, to get an invite to apply (ITA) and make the grade for a Canada PR Visa!
- Online Facility: To begin with, despite the fact that both these tests review your capability in the same four components (Listening, Reading, Writing, and speaking), to face the CELPIP tests, you have to go online. On the other hand, for the IELTS tests, you have to utilize either a pen or a pencil.
- Built-in spell check facility: Since the test for CELPIP tests are computerized, you gain from the built-in spell check facility and this further eases the process.
- Faster Process: The CELPIP test is faster with the total test time (comprising speaking) likely to be close to just 3 hours. Listening (47–55 minutes) | Reading (55–60 minutes) |Writing (53–60 minutes) |Speaking (15–20 minutes). On the other hand, for the IELTS tests, you have to devote two days.
- Lesser charges: On the cost front also the CELPIP scores. The cost that you have to incur for it is figuratively lesser, vis-à-vis the IELTS.
- More convenient: While facing the CELPIP test, you also have the option of adjusting the volume in the headphones, for the Listening component to suit your specific requirements.
- No need to wait: You do not have to cool your heels for long for an open slot, since the CELPIP becomes available at 09.00 a.m. local time, with a different test sitting at 10.00 a.m. the same day, and are likely to take place repeatedly subsequently.
- Results declared faster: The results for the tests are made public inside 10-12 business days post you face the exam. Express rating facility takes just 3 days for the purpose.
Four Important Points Not To Ignore
- Unlike the IELTS being readily available to immigration candidates across the globe, the CELPIP was earlier only restricted to its test takers from the nations of the CANADA & the US.
- The CELPIP Test costs $200.00 CAD (10845.00 INR) and the lone test center in India is at Chandigarh at B 412, 4th Floor, Elante Offices, Industrial Area, Phase 1.
- To face the CELPIP-General Test, you require having acceptable identification documents, such as either a Passport or a Voter’s ID or Aadhaar Card.
- It is compulsory that your identification document is 100% original & legally valid. The concerned IRCC officials will not accept photocopies of identification. Besides, the name and date of birth entered for your CELPIP Test registration must match precisely with the ID you present when you face the CELPIP Test. In case there is any kind of mismatch in the name given, you will be barred from appearing for the test. In addition, you will not be entitled for any kind of refund or transfer.
Summing-up, the CELPIP maybe a better option than the IELTS for some of the aspiring immigration applicants to exhibit their language skills, courtesy of its computer-based examinations, and for offering quicker and less demanding test experience to the candidates. Use the information to plan your Canada immigration in a better and more successful way.