OECD Report – Canada’s Pioneering Immigration System is benchmark for Others

In the recent report, Canada’s reputed Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has proclaimed that the country’s immigration system is a benchmark for other developed nations focusing on immigration. They further added, Country’s immigration structure is the most comprehensive and elaborate migration system.

The report elaborates that the country’s immigration program is performing well on the grounds of balancing the migrants coming from economic program with those migrants entering from other immigration streams to serve the assortment of demographic and economic objectives.

Some of the key facts about Canada’s Economic Immigration System:

  • Immigration alone contributes the 80% of population growth in Canada
  • Canada is considered as the best nation for attracting high-educated and highly skilled professionals and entrepreneurs
  • Canada’s Global Skills Strategy has – filled 24,000 vacancies, generated 60,000 jobs and helped 1,100 companies to grow.

Significance of Canada Immigration System:

  • Commenced in 2015, Canada launched a two-step process of Canada Express Entry system for selecting qualified migrants.
    • First the candidates must obtain a minimum eligibility points, based on Age, language proficiency, skills, education and other factors.
    • Qualified candidates are classified against other profiles using similar criteria and are granted invitations to apply for Canada PR Visa. These invitations are rolled once every two weeks to select the most eligible candidates.
  • Canada is widely perceived as perfect example for effective immigration management considering the large number of immigrants selected through a points-based system.
  • Canada has been successful in integrating the newcomers and their children to Canada based on health, education, citizenship and employment rates.


Upon comparing with USA’s Immigration stream:

  • In United States most of the economic immigrants are required to be sponsored by US employers and only 140,000 immigrants are allowed for that category.
  • At the outset of successful Canada Immigration system, there are various speculations about United States to adopt Canada’s model of points system for skilled migrants.


Key Recommendations demonstrated In OECD Report:

  • Combine Federal Skilled Worker Program with Canadian Experience Class while abolishing the Federal Skilled Trades Program to form a single program system for all the Federal Economic Immigrants.
  • Reinstate all the Express Entry pool requirements in-line with the new single program and introduce a new minimum qualification requirement for Express Entry pool.
  • Additional points to rewarded for Canadian work experience based on the wage of last Canadian job instead of NOC code and duration.
  • To allocate full skills transferability points to the with required license in a regulated profession in their intended province.
  • Track the alternate occupations addition to the occupation they intend to work in.
  • Abolishing the relevance of Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for permanent migration and replace it with integrity checks.
  • Introduce a trusted employer scheme for those organizations constantly using the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, building on the experiences of the Global Skills Strategy.
  • Connect temporary work visas with specific occupations and provinces instead of employers.
  • Provincial Nominee Program to be based primarily on Express Entry by ensuring standard processing times and common educational and language minimum requirements.

Canada is expecting to grant permanent residency for around 330,000 newcomers this year, with about 60% coming only from economic migrants. The remaining 40% will arrive through designated humanitarian assistance programs or the reunification of immigrants with family members in Canada.

About the Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *